WELCOME TO ROSEBUD PRIMARY SCHOOL
Early History of the Township
The town of Rosebud is situated on the southern shores of Port Phillip Bay, in the Parish of Wannaeue. Rosebud is in the Shire of Mornington Peninsula. Rosebud provides a major recreational outlet for thousands of holidaymakers each year, and forms part of Melbourne’s beautiful ‘Peninsula Playground’.
There is little recorded history of Rosebud’s beginning, except that fisherfolk of various nationalities were encamped along the foreshore.
The Need to Establish a School at Rosebud
In October 1874 a petition was sent to the Minister of Education requesting that a school be established in the vicinity of Rosebud. This was signed by 25 local residents but was unsuccessful.
Another lengthy petition was prepared by a number of ratepayers of the village of Rosebud and neighbourhood in 1879. They asked that a schoolhouse and a schoolmaster be placed at Rosebud. At the time children had to choose between walking to Dromana (3 miles) or Boneo (4 miles) if they wanted to go to school.
A further application in 1882 was rejected even though there were now 32 children living in the district and a building, the Mechanics Institute, was available to be used on weekdays for a small rental.
More correspondence in 1883 included a list of school age children and this was followed the next year with a list of family names, with names and ages of children…read more